Seth

Seth

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Some promising developments

To update you on the PET scan, it showed that the GVHD was right through Seth's digestive system. So it confirmed that they are fighting the right thing with nothing else to be worried about. He is booked in for a scope and colonoscopy for 6th Dec but I think this is just a further confirmation of what they already know.
Finally we have had some developments! Seth has been able to drop his steroid dose to 10 and below for the first time since transplant! It's very promising for all of us and its hard not to get too excited about such a huge breakthrough (for us).
His chubby little cheeks have ever so slightly thinned out and it has given us all the boost that we needed. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
Seth had another bone marrow aspirate done last Tuesday and the results are once again clear!!!
We had an appointment yesterday to meet with the oncology psychologist to go over Seth's learning ability. I have had some concerns with his memory lately and I brought it up with the bone marrow team expecting to hear it was to do with the medication he was on. I was told however that the high doses of radiation and chemo he had pre transplant can cause permanent memory damage and learning difficulties. So, this appointment was arranged to judge his strengths and weaknesses. I should get a report in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully it contains good news. If it shows some damage then I have been told that there are support systems in place just for these oncology kids who have been affected by radiation and chemo. They support them all the way through school and help them get a job doing what they enjoy and where their strengths lay.
These next two weeks can't go quick enough for me now. I prefer knowing what the news is, that way I can either relax or can tackle the problem. It's the not knowing that is the hardest part for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment